The Wallace Stegner Prize in Environmental and American Western History
The Wallace Stegner Prize in Environmental and American Western History $10,000
Book Publication Prize, Presented by the University of Utah Press
The Wallace Stegner Prize will be awarded annually to the best monograph submitted to the
Press in the subject areas of environmental and American western history. To compete for this
award, manuscripts must emphasize research in primary and secondary sources and quality
writing in the tradition of Wallace Stegner. The winning manuscript will demonstrate a
commitment to scholarly narrative history that also appeals to more general readers. These
criteria reflect the legacy of Wallace Stegner as a student of the American West, as a spokesman
for the environment, and as a teacher of creative writing. The winner of the Wallace Stegner
Prize will receive a $10,000 award and a publication contract with the University of Utah Press.
2009 Prize Submission Guidelines
• Manuscripts must be in English and in double-spaced Courier 12-point font. They
should be otherwise formatted to conform to the manuscript and graphics guidelines
stipulated on the Press Web page under Author Resources.
• Manuscripts must be postmarked between January 1 and August 15, 2009.
• Manuscripts that do not win the Wallace Stegner Prize will also be considered for book
• Manuscripts will not be returned and will be recycled after the competition.
• Portions of submitted manuscripts may have appeared previously in journals or
anthologies, but previously published monographs will not be considered.
• The competition is open to all authors except current students, faculty, and staff of the
University of Utah.
• All submissions should include a cover letter, C.V., and complete manuscript, including
all illustrations and supplementary materials.
A panel of historians and representatives of the Press will determine the winning submission.
Awardees will be contacted directly and the results of the competition will be posted on the
Press Web site by November 1, 2009. Please do not call the Press or the judges to check on the
status of your submission. The decision of the judges is final. The winning manuscript will be
published in 2010.
For more information, please go to the University of Utah Press at http://www.uofupress.com/
Please send all submissions to:
The University of Utah Press
Attn. The Wallace Stegner Prize
J. Willard Marriott Library, Suite 5400
University of Utah 295 South 1500 East Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9402